Thursday, October 4, 2012

If you wanna kiss the sky...


11 And it happened that while he was in a certain place praying, when he stopped a certain one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray…” (Luke 11)

Prayer.  It occurs to me the problem we may have with understanding this crucial activity of our faith is this:

We’re looking at it from the wrong side. 

We’re always trying to figure out how we do this or how we do that.  What should we say?  What shouldn’t we say?  Should we fast?  What’s it for?  Does pointing at the sky after a touchdown count?  Do I have to do it out loud?  Should I confess my sins first or start right off with praise and adulation?  Can I name it and claim it?  Does it not work if I doubt?  Am I allowed to ask to win the lottery?

All of these are… Most of these are legitimate questions.  Legitimate questions that miss the point entirely.

How does God view prayer?

I dunno.  He doesn’t talk to me personally like that but if the Holy Spirit is guiding me now, He might be saying this… “How many times I wanted to gather your children together the way a hen gathers her young together under her wings,” (Matt 23)  He might say,
“Arise, my beloved! Come, my beauty!”
14 My dove, in the clefts of the rock,

    in the secluded place in the mountain,

Let me see your face,

    let me hear your voice;

for your voice is sweet and your face is lovely.” (SoS 2)
13 O you who dwell in the garden,

    my companions are listening to your voice.

        Let me hear it!” (SoS 8)
Since before time, since the moment the Father and the Son conceived of us, They have been yearning, aching, working to draw us into a real, right relationship with them!  Not from fear, not through religious rite, not coerced, not to transactional but true, unadulterated, unconditional love!  And we who are the Bride are to be bringing more and more to our Lover King.  To be showing the love we have been shown.  This is all the law and the prophets!  We are loved!  Though we deserve nothing from Him, He openly offers all!  If we would only melt into His arms.  This is what prayer should be!  Our asking to be melted.  Our asking to be transformed by this love!  Our asking to believe. 

Our need for bread?  This is our Father!  This is our Husband!  This is our Lover King!  Do you honestly think he doesn’t know our need?  Doesn’t care?  He who gave up His only Son so we might all be in Him.  He not only knows we need bread already, He’s burying us in it!  With twelve baskets left over!  He wants to bless us so we can bless!  He loves us so we can show that love to the world! 
Is this not the fast I choose: to release the bonds of injustice,

    to untie the ropes of the yoke,

and to let the oppressed go free,

    and tear every yoke to pieces?
Is it not to break your bread for the hungry?

    You must bring home the poor, the homeless.

When you see the naked, you must cover him,

    and you must not hide yourself from your relatives.
Then your light shall break forth like the dawn,

    and your healing shall grow quickly.

And your salvation shall go before you;

    the glory of Yahweh will be your rear guard.
Then you shall call, and Yahweh himself will answer.

    You shall cry for help, and he will say, ‘Here I am!’” (Is 58)

No comments:

Post a Comment