Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Right Hand Man


It’s funny how a single word or phrase can grab your attention when you’re reading the Word.  The other day it was, “right hand.”  Gen 48 shows us it is the hand the greater blessings come from.  Priests and cleansed lepers were consecrated on the right side: ear, thumb and toe. (Ex 29, Lev 8, 14)  Judges 5 portrays it as the hand of vengeance.  Which makes sense since it was ordinarily, the side of honor, the side in which the weapon is kept.  It is apparently the hand in which a pledge of fellowship (Gal 2) or strong oaths are made. (Rev 10)  More than this though, when I started looking at the verses about the right hand something else jumped out at me… or should I say, someone else.  So without further nonsense from me, in true rabbit trail fashion, I give you the Word:

My hand laid the foundation of the earth, and my right hand spread out the heavens; when I call to them, they stand forth together. (Isaiah 48:13
)  In your majesty ride out victoriously for the cause of truth and meekness and righteousness; let your right hand teach you awesome deeds! (Psalm 45:4
)  As your name, O God, so your praise reaches to the ends of the earth. Your right hand is filled with righteousness. (Ps 48:10)
6 Your right hand, O Lord, glorious in power,

    your right hand, O Lord, shatters the enemy.
12 You stretched out your right hand;

    the earth swallowed them. (Ex 15)
 ““The Lord came from Sinai

    and dawned from Seir upon us;

    he shone forth from Mount Paran;

he came from the ten thousands of holy ones,

    with flaming fire at his right hand.
And he brought them to his holy land, to the mountain which his right hand had won. (Ps 78:54)

14 Turn again, O God of hosts!

    Look down from heaven,
 and see;

have regard for this vine,
15 the stock that your right hand planted,

    and for the son whom you made strong for yourself. (Psalm 80)

Jesus said to him, “You have said so. But I tell you, from now on you will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of Power and coming on the clouds of heaven.” (Matt 26:64)  A Psalm of David. The LORD says to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool.” (Ps 110:1)   Your hand will find out all your enemies; your right hand will find out those who hate you (Ps 21:8) in whose hands are evil devices, and whose right hands are full of bribes. (Ps 26:10)  You will have your fill of shame instead of glory. Drink, yourself, and show your uncircumcision! The cup in the LORD's right hand will come around to you, and utter shame will come upon your glory! (Hab 2:16)  Let him rain coals on the wicked; fire and sulfur and a scorching wind shall be the portion of their cup. (Ps 11:6)  Thus the LORD, the God of Israel, said to me: “Take from my hand this cup of the wine of wrath, and make all the nations to whom I send you drink it. (Jer 25:15)
6 Appoint a wicked man against him;

    let an accuser stand at his right hand.
7 When he is tried, let him come forth guilty;

    let his prayer be counted as sin! (Ps 109)
Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to accuse him. (Zech 3:1)

Thus says your Lord, the LORD, your God who pleads the cause of his people: “Behold, I have taken from your hand the cup of staggering; the bowl of my wrath you shall drink no more; (Is 51:22) For I, the LORD your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the one who helps you.” (Is 41:13)  You have given me the shield of your salvation, and your right hand supported me, and your gentleness made me great. (Ps 18:35)
30 With my mouth I will give great thanks to the Lord;

    I will praise him in the midst of the throng.
31 For he stands at the right hand of the needy one,

    to save him from those who condemn his soul to death. (Ps 109)  I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the LORD, (Ps 116:13)  27 And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, 28 for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. (Matt 26) 

He said to them, “You will drink my cup, but to sit at my right hand and at my left is not mine to grant, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared by my Father.” (Matt 20:23)  So then the Lord Jesus, after he had spoken to them, was taken up into heaven and sat down at the right hand of God. (Mark 16:19)  In his right hand he held seven stars, from his mouth came a sharp two-edged sword, and his face was like the sun shining in full strength. When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, “Fear not, I am the first and the last, (Rev 1:16,17) As for the mystery of the seven stars that you saw in my right hand, and the seven golden lampstands, the seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches. (Rev 1:20)

Wondrously show your steadfast love, O Savior of those who seek refuge from their adversaries at your right hand. (Ps 17:7)
3 Yes, he loved his people,

    all his holy ones were in his hand;

so they followed in your steps,

    receiving direction from you,” (Deut 33)
[D]aughters of kings are among your ladies of honor; at your right hand stands the queen in gold of Ophir. (Ps 45:9)  His left hand is under my head, and his right hand embraces me! (SoS 2:6)  You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. (Ps 16:11)  
My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me. (Ps 63:8)



No comments:

Post a Comment